How to Get Flawless Skin
In the next several articles we will be pointing out different troublesome skin conditions and their causes and prevention. We will also be researching ways to treat these conditions and begin our journey on how to have flawless skin. Some of the treatments and the prevention will be as organic as possible.
The Effects of Aging on Skin
Your skin undergoes many changes as you age. That could be years of overexposing your skin to the sun, smoking, diet, and changes that normally occur with aging. As you age, your skin becomes less smooth and less tight as it was before. It will become drier, more fragile, and thinner than when you were younger. The walls of the blood vessels become weaker causing the skin to bruise more easily. This is one of the effects of aging on skin. This would certainly be a road block in the search for flawless skin.
As you age you lose fat below the surface of your skin in your cheeks, temples, chin, nose, and around your eyes causing the skin to loosen. Losing bone around the mouth will cause a puckering and wrinkles. If you lose cartilage around the nose it may change also. You may notice creases appearing on your forehead, temples, cheeks, and around your mouth. These are results of different facial expressions. They are sometimes called frown lines. Gravity plays a big role in aging our skin. When the skin becomes less supple gravity takes over and causes the eyebrows and eyelids to sag or droop. This sagging, caused by gravity, creates looseness under the cheeks and jaw. This results in what is referred to as a double chin and lengthened ear lobes. We should be strive to have flawless skin before this process begins.
Wrinkle Prevention For Flawless Skin
Regardless of our age and when we start to see the signs of aging we begin to find methods of wrinkle prevention. We can’t control the effects that gravity has on our skin but there are ways we can protect our skin and make a difference. A visit to the dermatologist will help but there are several things you can do on your own instead of sitting and feeling helpless. I have listed the things I believe to be most important in helping you fight the battle and ways to get flawless skin.
- Protect your skin from the sun. This is vital if you are striving to have flawless skin. Dozens of studies have documented the impact the sun has on our skin. Some of these studies have shown that the sun plays a bigger factor on aging skin that heredity.
- Use Sunscreen. It not only protects you from the dreaded skin cancer but it helps to prevent premature wrinkling of the skin.
- Do not Smoke. Studies have confirmed that cigarette smoke can cause aging skin. Research has shown that it releases an enzyme that breaks down collagen and elastin. These are important components of the skin. The Twin Research Unit at St. Thomas Hospital in London found studies done on siblings found the one that smoked had more wrinkles and 40% thinner skin than the non-smoker.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep. Without adequate sleep, your body will produce too much cortisol. This is a hormone that actually breaks down skin cells. If you get proper rest and sleep, your body will produce more human growth hormone ( HGH). This helps the skin to stay thicker and more elastic and therefore, less wrinkles.
- Try your best to sleep on you back. Sleeping on your side constantly will cause sleep creases. These are wrinkles that become creased into your skin. They do not go away when you get up. If you sleep face down, you may get a wrinkled brow. Again, if at all possible, sleep on your back.
- Make sure you have proper reading glasses. Squinting repetitively causes a crease under the surface which eventually becomes a wrinkle.
- Wear sunglasses. They help protect your skin around the eyes and also keep you from squinting. Remember that squinting causes creases or wrinkles and is detrimental to having flawless skin.
- Add plenty of fish to your diet. Salmon and other cold water fish is a good source of protein which is so important to your skin. It also provides a very important fatty acid called omega-3. This nourishes the skin keeping it plump and young looking with less wrinkles. I do believe that diet will certainly be one of the most important things to help you to have flawless skin.
- Try adding soy to your diet. Soy protein may assist in collagen regulation, and skin moisture. Soy also binds onto a certain form of protein in a cell called deacetylated histones. This protein helps contain the long strands of DNA into tight coils. Soy will target those cells before they undergo a process that has been linked to proliferation of the cell.
- Replace coffee with cocoa. According to a study, research found cocoa to contain high levels of epicatchin and catechin. These two dietary flavanols will protect the skin from sun damage and improve circulation in skin cells which affects hydration making the skin look and feel smoother.
- Make sure to add plenty of fruits and vegetables to your diet. They are valuable because of their antioxidant compounds which fight damage by unstable molecules (free radicals) which cause damage to the cells. This helps to keep the skin looking younger and helps to prevent some effects of photo aging thus lessening the effects of aging on skin.
- Get a good moisturizer. This will help soften the skin and make it more youthful looking. When your skin is moist, it looks more youthful and the wrinkles can be less noticeable.
- Be careful not to over-wash your face. This can deprive your skin of the natural oils and moisture that guard against wrinkles. Use a moisturizing soap if possible. If you don’t use a moisturizing soap, use a facial cleanser. Remember to moisturize, moisturize!
- Exfoliate!.!! Exfoliate! New skin is always being created in the lower layer and begins a 30 day migration to the surface. This is a natural process of skin erosion. During the aging process the skin becomes dry and scaly and rough looking. Exfoliation removes these dead skin cells of this outer layer and unclogs the pores. Exfoliating will reveal the new and healthy skin and gets you closer to having flawless skin. It cleans the skin and can help prevent acne. You should do this each time you wash your face. Since the face is a very sensitive area this process can dry the skin out so it is so very important to use a good moisturizer afterwards. Moisturizing is just as important because as we related earlier in this article, drying can cause the skin to wrinkle and show signs of aging skin.
All of the above are very important components when searching for flawless skin.
Watch for our next article on Cellulite. This troublesome skin problem can certainly be a road block on our way to having flawless skin.
Kate Alka Miles/Beautiful Skin Advisor/Counselor